Micro-topping is basically a cement polymer mix which serves as an innovative solution to achieve a seamless, tactile and a modern look to the space. The mixture comprises of cement, water based resins, additives and mineral pigments which can be applied manually without any visible joints. Micro-topping is very flexible, its aesthetic and versatile qualities makes it suitable for interior as well as exterior application. Micro-topping is gaining its popularity within designers for its qualities such as it offers a wide range of possibilities and decorative finishes with customized color tones.
Micro-topping can be applied on horizontal and as well as vertical surfaces. Its quick and easy application makes it ideal for spaces like, staircase, swimming pools, furniture cladding, flooring, bathrooms, outdoor areas, kitchens to name a few. Micro-topping is waterproof mix and also firmly adheres to the underlying surfaces like wood, tiles etc. With a thickness of total 3mm, it allows to give a new outlook to the space without having to remove the existing flooring.
PROCESS OF APPLICATION –
Micro-topping mix is entirely made and applied manually therefore, can only be executed by a highly skilled labour.
1. SURFACE PREPARATION –
To clean the existing surface properly, removing dust, grease oil etc and to repair any kind of damage to the existing flooring.
2. PRIMER APPLICATION –
To apply a bonding primer on the clean and dry surface. It helps the micro-topping coating to firmly adhere to the existing surface.
3. MICRO-TOPPING MIX –
The cement polymer mix is made by the high skilled labour following the guidelines. To ensure that mix is consistent and smooth and does not have any lumps.
4. BASE COAT APPLICATION – The mix is applied manually on the prepared surface with a trowel. To ensure that the process is carried out by a expert labour to avoid any futher difficulties.
5. SANDING AND CLEANING –
To thoroughly clean and smoothen the base coat layer manually .
6. FIRST COAT APPLICATION –
The micro-topping mix is then applied on the clean and dry base coat manually.
The process may need to be repeated depending upon the desired finish and texture.
7. FINAL COAT APPLICATION –
According to the choice of the designer, texture or any decorative finishes can be added to the microtopping while the layer is still wet using various tools like stamps, stencils etc.
8. CURING AND SEALING –
To allow the final layer with textured finishes to cure by keeping the floor moist and using a curing compound.
– Sealing is a process where after the micro-topping layer is cured, a sealant is applied in order to protect and enhance the durability of the surface. It also comes in various fininshes such as a matte or glossy finish.
1. An innovative and unique solution that combines the aesthetic qualities of concrete with mordern requirements.
2. Adheres firmly to the underlying surface there by eleminating the need for removal of the existing surface tiles.
3. Clean, quick and easy application.
4. It is water and stain resistant, which makes its maintanence easy in the long run.
5. No visible joints and can be applied on floors and walls creating a more continuos and seamless look.
6. The thickness is 3mm, a minimal thickness without much interrupting in the clear height.
7. Offers a wide range of colour options, textures and decorative finishes.
1. It is not a sustainable and eco-friendly material.
2. Micro-topping requires highly clean surface, any kind of pollutant can have an affect on adhesion and its quality.
3. Only highly skilled labour can execute micro-topping as any other inexperienced labour will struggle to achieve the desired quality and finish.
4. The cost and labour charges are comparitively higher as compared to any other surfacing methods.
5. It requires periodic re-sealing in order to maintain the durability of the surface.
6. Micro-topping is not suitable for industrial spaces, heavy machinery can cause damage to the surface.
So, if you’re looking for a material that’s as versatile as it is beautiful, consider venturing into the world of micro-topping. Remember, it’s more than just a coating; it’s an opportunity to transform your space into a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.